THE HISTORY OF THE
4 STAGIONI HOTEL
The history of the 4 Stagioni hotel begins on 27th June 1908 when Emilio
Arietti (born in Bardolino) opened a small restaurant (TRATTORIA) IN THE
HEART OF Bardolino.
enterprising spirit stayed with Emilio for many years and his next acquisition
was a piece of land containing a vineyard and a 3 story building with 12
rooms facing on to ‘BORGO GARIBALDI’ street, which he bought
together with his brother Cesere. The deed of sale was signed 10th November
1910 and the two brothers became the owners of the building and the adjacent
land which included a piece of land that since 1914 has housed the schools
Emilio and Cesere continued to manage their restaurant. The brothers also
opened the hotel and continued to cultivate wine in the basement of the hotel
using the grapes found in a field in another part of Bardolino (Alzeroni),
where Emilio also built a house called the BEN PENSA. The brothers continued
to produce wine until Cesere was conscripted to fight for his country in
the First World War, where unfortunately he lost his life.
hotel closed for a time during the war but soon re-opened when the war finished.
Emilio continued to work in the fields, planting and growing vegetables together
with his wife Alessandra who dedicated herself to the kitchen and the preparation
of food. The cuisine of Alessandra was simple and natural based on fresh
produce grown in the family’s field. On the 1st October 1922 Emilio
decided to diversify the family business and thus opened something new, a
of the early hotel clients came from the city wanting a meal and to enjoy the
countryside playing bowls. As the years went on, the business grew requiring
extra help to make it run smoothly. Assistance was sought from Emilio’s
four children, in particular Deborah Arietti and Emilio Arietti. Deborah the
oldest child enthusiastically helped to manage the hotel/restaurant as well as
looking after her younger brothers and sisters. Deborah’s collaboration
was excellent, she carried out all her duties with zeal and consistency.
Emilio quickly learnt the art of cooking thanks to knowledge passed down from
his mother. Emilio continued to work for years as a chef using always fresh produce
and traditional recipes.
the Second World War the hotel did not cease operation as providing as base for
foreigners. The situation did change a little though as the hotel was hosting
many German officials.
On May 25th 1950 the management of the Hotel/Restaurant was given to 2 of the
children; Deborah and Emilio. In the 1960’s when the first tourists came
to Bardolino, a renovation of the property was carried out, leaving a new and
more functional hotel. The hotel continues to operate in this renovated style
of the 1960’s
and still provides a comfortable base for many visitors to Bardolino.
The business of the Arietti family is highly regarded especially the restaurant
cuisine which for many years was prepared by family members who often prepared
banquets on special occasions.
In recent years the hotel’s structure has become more graceful and elegant.
The hotel is open from March - October where guests are able to stay on a bed
and breakfast basis.